ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Re: Athirat and Qadesh

Brandy Williams <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Aug 1997 13:59:55 -0700

>I guess that Astarte was known to be a goddess (from the OT), whereas
>Asherah was not recognized as such before the Ugarit-finds.
>Therefore, every goddess in the west-semitic area would be "Astarte",
>since we "knew" that this was what a pagan goddess was called in the
>OT. The confusion of Anat and Astarte is probably more due to their
>similar functions in Bronze-age Egypt.

Similarly, I am having a discussion on another list about Qadesh with a
person who equates her with Asherah, Athirat and Astarte.  The point I'm
making is that qds names a goddess found in Egypt.  She argues that qds is an
epithet of Athirat in the Ugaritic texts and the implication is that
Athirat and Qadesh are the same deity.  Do you have an opinion?

Brandy Williams

--
Brandy Williams