ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Re: Priestesses as god's wives & politics

Liv Faret <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:32:37 -0700

mac566f wrote:

> > Winter's article:
> >   Winter, Irene J. 1987 Women in public: The disk of Enheduanna,
> >  the beginning of the office of en-priestess, and the weight of
> >  visual evidence. In J. Durand, ed., +La Femme dans le Proche
> >  Orient antique+.  RAI, 33, pp. 189-201.  Paris: Editions
> >  Recherche sur les Civilisations.
> > .... while there were women in high-status roles in Early
> > Dynastic and Akkadian Mesopotamia, they were usually religious roles without
> > much political clout ...

How do we know that these religious rold were without political clout?
Was there absolute separation between church and state?

>In public art from the Early Dynastic
> and Sargonic period men are shown leading soldiers, slaughtering
> prisoners, drinking at banquets, and constructing temples. Women are
> depicted overseeing rituals and seated in proximity to a king/husband.

How do we know that slaughtering prisoners etc. represents more
political clout than overseeing rituals?

Couldn't it be argued that the person(s) involved in religion, when
religion was a focal part of their lives, "interpreted" the will of the
god(ess) would determine the actions of large groups, such as soldiers
and workers, and thereby have much more "political clout" than
previously assumed.

Could it be that the importance of religion and it's interpretation as a
determinant in every aspect of life, has been underestimated, maybe
specifically because it was conducted by women, and therefore, by
definition, not as "important" as men's work.

Liv Faret
Santa Monica, CA