ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Hebrew Bible/OT/dates/etc.

Lisa Auanger <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Aug 1997 22:14:43 -0500

Interesting observation and complaint.  On a related note, one might ask
about the problems of presenting from a Christian perspective through
assigning numerical dates to works and artefacts.  I myself have been
attempting to make my work as objective and inclusive as possible, and
have become quite aware of the influence of the Judeo-Christian tradition
in naming, etc. Our international standard system of dating certainly is
Christian.  Does this present problems to teachers and scholars in
religiously diverse areas?  It does seem possible to avoid the dates, and
present, e.g. the time of Hadrian which was approximately...years ago, but
to my experience at least one student will almost always ask "What year
was that?"  (Not that I am convinced that we can answer this with an
acceptable standard of precision...)

So, all ye enlightened thinkers, think and enlighten. :)
I myself am tempted to give up on this one, and yield to what seems to be
the norm.

Lisa Auanger
Lisa Auanger
Ph.D., Art History and Archaeology