Re: Moiragetes

Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:14:59 -0500

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Max Dashu wrote:

> Any of you Greek scholars care to offer a translation of the term
> "Moiragetes"? (I was recently reading Thomson and he points to this word,
> applied to Olympian gods, as an example of their usurpation of the Moirae's
> primordial powers. He says that early sources clearly marked these gods as
> subject to the Fates' decrees, but that these ancient goddesses were
> gradually shoved into the background.)
> Another query: I'm looking for names (and their literal meanings) for the
> witch in ancient Greece. Thanks in advance.

I can't help you with the "Moiragetes" term....unless it's related to the
word "exegetes"....which would be interpreters of Scripture...and possibly
then interpreters of the Moirai.... Someone else will have that answer.
Greek witches include Circe and Medea (the most famous).  Then there's a
witch from Thessaly who supposedly played a wonderful trick on the
populace in drawing down the moon.  She happened to be a learned
astronomer who knew when there would be an eclipse (and made a grand show
of it). There are many allusions and other references to the witches
of Thessaly.  Her name escapes me at the moment since it's buried in my
piles and piles of research material.  If I find it soon I'll post it.
Oh, and one reports says that the eponym for Thessally, Thessalus, is
supposedly a son of Jason and Medea.

Then there's woman named Theodoris who was destroyed as a witch and is
reported by one of the orators (whose name also lies buried in my papers).

Then too, much could depend on how far you want to go in your definition
of "witch".  Socrates, after all, played with some love charms to draw his
lovers to him--the charm that was supposed to imitate the sound of
a wryneck bird stretched upon some type of wheel.  You might also check
out the story of Plango and the Plango dolls.

These names will give you a start anyway.  Someone else can make an
attempt at translation.

Pam Casto