words for witch

Max Dashu <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:15:23 -0700

Just a correction of my original request. I was looking for _words_ meaning
"witch" in ancient Greek (actually I'd be interested in other languages
too). For example, the Russian word for witch, vyed'ma, means "knower."
Latin strix, "owl." Norse spakona, "prophetic woman."

However! Looks like the names are also yielding interesting info. I would
love to know more about
<a woman named Theodoris who was destroyed as a witch and is
reported by one of the orators>
as I am writing a history of the witch hunts.

Which leads to a second extension of my request: for references to witch
hunts or witch burnings in Greek (and Roman) society. The only Greek
mention of burning I have found doesn't have to do with witches. It's a
myth of Apollo, in which he burns Arsinoe on a pyre for having sex with
Ischys. (And that's all I know about it; not much). It seems as if this
story belongs to a larger Indo-European theme having to do with the use of
fire to enforce women's second class status.

Thanks.

Max Dashu

Suppressed Histories Archives   email: [log in to unmask]
PO Box 3511 Oakland CA 94609 USA
///SHA, now in its 27th year, focuses on International Women's Studies.///