Re: words for witch

Sat, 13 Sep 1997 16:53:27 -0500

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Max Dashu wrote:

> However! Looks like the names are also yielding interesting info. I would
> love to know more about
> <a woman named Theodoris who was destroyed as a witch and is
> reported by one of the orators>
> as I am writing a history of the witch hunts.

Excuse me, wrong name.  I was posting from faulty memory.  Her name is
actually Theoris.  She made philtres/drugs and had supposedly rebuffed
Demosthenes.  He then supposedly accused her of inciting slaves to deceive
their masters and was put to death. There are references to her in
Athenaeus and in Demosthenes.  And a tabloid style story about her in Paul
LaCroix's _History of Prostitution_.  He says that this same Theoris was
Sophocles' lover as well.  However, things get quite mixed up with
LaCroix.  But she can be traced through other sources and a case can be
made for her being a practictioner of witchcraft.  I'd give you more on
her if I were more organized.  I pick up these tidbits and make note of
them only because I find them interesting.  And haven't decided on a use
for them yet. Therefore they're also in an unsorted mess of all kinds of
tidbits.  I hope this one pans out for you and good luck on your project.
I'll keep my eyes open for other things that might be of interest to you.

Pam Casto