ANAHITA  October 1997

ANAHITA October 1997

Re: Upper Room

"G.B. (Geordi Byron) Steele" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:20:14 -0400

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Clara Hardy wrote:

> Second, a query.  In the New Testament, the disciples frequently meet inan
> upper room.  In Greek houses, the upper room (cf. Lysias, Murder of
> Eratosthenes) is the women's quarters.  Would this also have been the case
> in Palestine.  Or is the upper room simply a dining room (hence, the
> location of the Last Supper)?  At Acts 1:13-14, the disciples are staying
> in an upper room in Jerusalem, and the Marys are specifically mentioned as
> being present.  -Rob

It's been awhile, and i haven't yet fully waked-up, but as I recall,
"upper-rooms" in Palestine at that time were extra rooms built on the roof
fror whatever the homeowner needed it for. Much as we would now finish a
basement or attic. Most often, these were, if memory serves, guestrooms. I
seem to recall them sometimes being used during Sukkoth and perhaps to
accomidate "un-clean" guests.

(A side-bar My other 3/8 tells me their use for Sukkoth would've only been
acceptable if the roof wasn't perminent.)

        Be well,

                Geordi Byron.