ANAHITA  October 1997

ANAHITA October 1997

Re: Upper Room

goldberg marilyn <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:22:20 -0400

The question of the existence and location of the women's quarters in
Greek houses is not as clear as we once thought it.  In Lysias, the
women's quarters are moved from upstairs to downstairs to ease the caring
for a new baby (and presumably the mess that goes along with this
arrival).  Lysias does not necessarily prove that there were always
women's quarters in Athenian houses or, if there were, that they were
always on the second floor.  An examination of the surviving Athenian
houses from the fifth and fourth centuries shows just how difficult it is
to find any evidence for women's quarters, despite Susan Walker's early
attempt to try to correlate the written evidence with the archaeological
("Women and Housing in Classical Greece: the Archaeological Evidence" in
_Women in Antiquity_.  I have been working on this question for a while
and will have a chapter in _Household Archaeology_ , edited by Penelope
Allison (Routledge 1998).  Lisa Nevett has done excellent work on the
question.  ONe article appeared in _BSA_ for 1995 and another in a Susan
Kent ed.volume in a Cambridge Archaeological series, entitled , I think,
_Domestic Architecture_.  Michael Jamison has done a wonderful job of
looking at the evidence in a cursory way, in his article in _The Greek
City from Homer to Alexander_.  He has written a second one, I think in
the same Domestic Architecture book.
It all comes down to the fact that we often have assumed the existence of
women's quarters without considering the archaeological evidence, both of
housing and on vase depictions, in its own right.  NOr have we taken class
and even ethnicity into account.  The newer, gendered versions of this
study, do attempt to deal with such issues.

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997,
Clara Hardy wrote:

> First, sorry about our familial redundancy.  Clara and I, logging on at
> different times and places, both thought of Callimachus.
>
> Second, a query.  In the New Testament, the disciples frequently meet in an
> upper room.  In Greek houses, the upper room (cf. Lysias, Murder of
> Eratosthenes) is the women's quarters.  Would this also have been the case
> in Palestine.  Or is the upper room simply a dining room (hence, the
> location of the Last Supper)?  At Acts 1:13-14, the disciples are staying
> in an upper room in Jerusalem, and the Marys are specifically mentioned as
> being present.  -Rob
>
> P.S. I don't want to start another long tangential thread on this subject.
> Simple references will suffice.

> 'SUBscribe ANAHITA Firstname Lastname' to
> the list owners at the generic address:

> Diotima's address: http://www.uky.edu/ArtsSciences/Classics/gender.html

Marilyn Y. Goldberg, Chair                      TEL: 410-455-2970
Dept.of Ancient Studies                         (Dept.   455-6265)
University of Maryland Baltimore County         FAX: 410-455-1027
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250                     email: [log in to unmask]