ANAHITA  November 1997

ANAHITA November 1997

New website/call for papers

Elizabeth Vandiver <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:13:09 -0600

Apologies for cross-postings.

The following call for papers for a three-year colloquium on "Translation in
Context" appears in the October issue of the American Philological
Association Newsletter. The deadline for submission of abstracts for the
first year's colloquium is Feb. 1, 1998.

The Colloquium has its own website at

        http://www.hfac.uh.edu/transcontext

TRANSLATION IN CONTEXT

Organizers: Elizabeth Vandiver, Northwestern University
            Richard Armstrong, University of Houston

        This colloquium was suggested by the interest shown in last year’s
panel“Choosing a Translation: What Is At Stake?”  The three-year format will
allow continued discussion in greater depth than was possible in the 1996
panel. Although as a profession we deal with translation on a daily basis
in publications and in the classroom, we rarely have the opportunity to
discuss the topic formally.  We hope to change that with this extended
exploration of literary translation.

        The colloquium will focus on literary translation in its historical
and cultural specificity. Although classicists are the most qualified to
judge the accuracy of translations from classical texts, we rarely address
the other side of the question: how does a translation occur as an event in
literary history in its own right? This basic question can be approached
through a number of subsidiary questions. How is a new translation affected
by its audience’s horizon of expectation, and how does it change or
challenge that horizon? What kind of self-justifying moves and assumptions
about the
nature of language are evident in the translator’s introductory remarks,
footnotes, and final translations? What cultural, sociologicalor political
conditions make a translation possible or necessary?

        As these sample questions demonstrate, the study of translation
is necessarily interdisciplinary, and tests our cultural competence in the
languages of translation, not just our ability to evaluate a translation
vis-à-vis an original classical text. Last year’s panel suggested that
discussions centered on some overarching “theory of translation” are often
too vague to be useful. The colloquium’s  “local study”approach provides a
useful alternative by attempting to evaluate translations as artifacts of
their own cultural context.

        Each year will concentrate on a specific poetic genre, and papers
should focus on translations into any language of either Greek or Roman
source texts from that genre. In 1998, the genre under consideration
willbe epic, in 1999, lyric and elegy, in 2000, drama. Preference will be
given to papers that highlight the translational practices of a given time
and place.

        For 1998, we are soliciting papers on translations of epic into
any language from any epoch. Our conception of epic is broad enough to
include poets such as Lucretius, Apollonius and Aratus, as well as Homer
and Vergil. Where possible, papers should discuss the claims and motivations
of the translator, as these often expose certain telling presuppositions
about language or literary tradition.

        Submit abstracts to Elizabeth Vandiver, Department of Classics,
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208-2200. Abstracts will be
judged anonymously by three referees. For additional information, contact
either Elizabeth Vandiver at [log in to unmask], or Richard Armstrong at
[log in to unmask] This colloquium has its own website, at
http://www.hfac.uh.edu/transcontext,  to help maintain continuity over its
three years of development .

* Elizabeth Vandiver                    [log in to unmask]              *
* Visiting Assistant Professor                                          *
* Department of Classics                phone:  (847) 491-7104          *
* Northwestern University               fax:    (847) 491-7598          *
* 1859 Sheridan Road                                                    *
* Evanston, IL 60208-2200                                               *