grammars

Ross Scaife <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:21:33 -0500

This message from Greg Crane may interest many on this list:

         * * * * * * * * * PLEASE POST * * * * * * * * *

December 16, 1997

Announcing first releases for WWW versions of Greek and Latin grammars.

Support from the National Endowment for the Humanities has allowed us to
create Web based versions of Smyth's <i>Greek Grammar</i> (1921) and Allen
and Greenough's <i>New Latin Grammar</i> (Ginn and Company 1903).

(The 1921 Smyth Grammar is virtually identical to the revised version published
in the 1950s.)

For now, these grammars can be cited by their conventional paragraph scheme.
The URL for Smyth paragraph 300 is:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/text?lookup=smyth+300

Likewise, the URL for the Allen and Greenough paragraph 300 is:

http://hydra.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/text?lookup=ag+gram.+300

You can consult tables of contents for each work at:
http://hydra.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/text?lookup=ag+gram.+toc
http://hydra.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/text?lookup=smyth+toc

NOTE: These grammars are still very much *works in progress* and can stand
a good deal more refinement. The basic text entry is fairly solid (although
some typos remain) but areas that could use additional work include:

1) Distinguishing the Latin in A&G: The Latin phrases are not marked by
any consistent text formatting and we have not always been able to mark
what is and is not Latin. Likewise, we have tried to highlight as many
"glosses" as we could, but some have escaped us.

2) Converting all the text citations into active links to Perseus Texts:
We have tried to create links to texts on-line, but some of these citations
may have been missed; other links may still be problematic.

3) We do not yet have characters to represent adequately all the metrical
signs used. Likwise, we cannot display over the WWW yet all numerical signs
or other special characters.

4) You cannot yet call up a separate paragraph (e.g. AG 405) or subsection
(e.g. AG 405b). Instead, you get whatever "section" that paragraph appears in.

5) The tables used to represent paradigms need refinement.

Please report all problems (esp. typos, broken links etc.) to: