Re: Age of Menarche

TREGULA <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:49:00 -0800

From a medical  standpoint, better nutrition seems to affect the age of
menarche. I have heard that both the increased height and earlier menses
of American girls since the beginning of this century are due to our
overfed habits. Since anorexic women and low-body-fat athletes sometimes
suspend menses, a clue might be found in the average daily diet of young
women in Alexandria at that time. Women in concentration camps during
WWII also often suspended menstruation from the appallingly poor diet.

This supports the contention from another respondent that the age of
menarche would depend on a variety of environmental and social factors.

Several respondents seem to be believe that the age of menarche is
presently about sixteen; it's my impression that that was true in the
Western world until early this century. At this time, I have heard
(sorry, no good reference!) that the average age in the US is twelve.

In many primitive cultures, girls will not be fed as well as boys, and
this may represent an attempt to delay menses and specifically fertility
if food is not abundant.

Hope something here is helpful!

deTraci Regula