Re: Images of Sappho

Ross Scaife <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 10:22:12 -0500

At 6:13 AM -0800 1/16/98, Melissa Schons wrote:
>You could place a reference question with the Photo Study Collection at the
>Getty Research Institute in Los Angeles.  Tracy Schuster is the person to
>speak with, and I think her email is [log in to unmask]  There is an
>extensive collection of paintings in this collection, as well as a database
>by subject which I think they'd be able to search for you.  Try
>www.getty.edu, and see if you can enter a query there.

Specifically the Getty Art History Information project at
http://www.ahip.getty.edu can help with this question:

RAMIREZ, Jan Seidler, "The "lovelorn lady": a new look at William Wetmore
Story's Sappho," American Art Journal XV/3 (summer 1983) 80-90

Examines the theme of Sappho in the context of 19th c. cultural history,
focusing on mid-19th c. classicizing sculpture. Discusses Story's
interpretation of the theme, developed during his sojourn in Rome and
Florence, the influence on his conception of Giovanni Dupr\e's Mournful
Saffo of 1857 (Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna, Rome), and the way in
which Story's Sappho set the tone for his own later work. Story produced
four versions of the sculpture.

Also

SLEE, Jacquelynn Baas, "Daumier's Sapho and academic painting," Print
Collector's Newsletter VIII/5 (Nov-Dec 1977) 138-139

Suggests Honore/ Daumier's lithograph The Death of Sappho, is a satire not
only of the myth of Sappho, but also of Baron Antoine-Jean Gros's academic
painting Sappho at Leucatas, in the Salon of 1801 (Muse/e Baron-Ge/rard,
Bayeux).

-- and there were several other results that looked pertinent as well.

Ross Scaife