Weavers

Lorraine Brochu-Mudloff <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 14:14:55 -0600

Hello group:

I'm researching female weavers in ancient Egypt.  My hypothesis is
that women were the dominant weavers on a local scale until the
18th/19th dyn. when we begin to see men depicted weaving.  At this
same time, Egypt has become international and more color is seen
in the textiles (i.e. a northern influence).  Can anyone suggest
ways to test the hypothesis that weaving went out of the domestic
realm and into the commercial, i.e. for international trade, during this
period and that such weaving passed from women's hands and into
men's?  Beyond tomb depictions, one thought is to survey cemetary sites
and correlate gender with attendant gravegoods.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or directions on this.

Lorraine Brochu-Mudloff
University of Chicago

"Life is a bowl of cherries."