ANAHITA  February 1998

ANAHITA February 1998

Alkman, Anyone? -- Call for Papers

"Carin L. Calabrese" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:55:31 +0000

Since *all* of the abstracts that we have received are on Pindar, we
are re-opening the call for papers and requesting abstracts on some
*non-Pindaric* aspects of archaic Greek choral poetry. The new
deadline is Friday, 13 February. If you know you'd like to contribute,
but think that you would need more time, please contact me or one of
my colleagues at the e-mail addresses below.

CHOROS: A Graduate Student Conference on Archaic Greek Choral Poetry

Keynote Speakers:  Claude Calame (Universite de Lausanne)
                                 Glenn Most (University of Heidelberg
                                        & University of Chicago)

April 24-25, 1998

Chicago Humanities Institute
The University of Chicago

The graduate students of the Department of Classical Languages and
Literatures of the University of Chicago are pleased to sponsor a
graduate student conference on archaic Greek choral poetry.  The
conference will embrace all aspects of choral poetry prior to the
emergence of Greek tragic and comic drama.  We invite papers that
incorporate the varied approaches of such fields as anthropology,
archaeology, art history, religion, linguistics, literary theory, as
well as classical philology.  We also encourage papers addressing
issues of choral performance context, including music, dance and
costume.

Please submit by mail three copies of an abstract (350 words maximum)
for a 15-20 minute presentation by mail to Choral Conference,
Department of Classical Languages and Literatures, 1010 East 59th
Street, Chicago, IL  60637.   Do not include your name on the
abstracts but do include a curriculum vitae with an e-mail address.
Abstracts must be received by 13 February 1998.  Participants will be
notified ASAP.

For further information please contact:
Carin Calabrese (773) 271-9026,[log in to unmask];
Phillip Lenihan (773) 684-2894, [log in to unmask]; or
Daniella Reinhard (773) 288-1687, [log in to unmask]