ANAHITA  March 1998

ANAHITA March 1998

Re: 6th graders

laura lee poe bayne-slimp <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:32:03 -0500

>Dear Ross,
>        Indeed, sixth-graders can be a better audience than many college
>classes--they're not jaded,and they're not afraid to express intellectual
>curiosity.  (Shame on the person who made the condescending remark to
>Laura!  Where do people think our next generation of scholars will come from
>if we treat them like that? It was good advice she gave!)  I would second
>the suggestion to take slides.  I've done slide lecture/discussions with
>middle-schoolers that worked beautifully--an abbreviated version of an
>exercise I do in my course on women in classical antiquity, in which I start
>with modern images and ask the students to "read" them (pointing out the
>conventions by which they recognize the scene--e.g., a wedding, an ad--and the
>roles and class background of the women portrayed), then move on to images of
>women from Attic vases, pointing out the conventions in that medium and the
>questions that remain.   If you talk about Amazons, try to watch an episode
>of Xena before you go, and comment on how the premise of that (very popular)
>show does and doesn't correspond to Greek ideas about the Amazons.
>        Have fun!  All best, Lillian
>
>Lillian E. DOHERTY
>Email:[log in to unmask] (LL21)
>Office Phone:(301) 405-2022
>Home Phone: (301) 622-9730

The advice you've been given so far is absolutely right on!  I would only
add that when I worked as a tutor in LA, my 6th graders really enjoyed
mythology.  In fact many of them already new many of the myths.  I suggest
asking them if they know any myths and talk about those they bring up.
Hercules is sure to come up, and some may mention Persephone (if they don't
I'd discuss it).  Also, you may want to discuss the role of mythology in
Greek society.  Finally, try to come up with an interactive activity that
will allow the students to participate.  Perhaps, if the classroom is wired,
you should show them some websites.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Laura
Laura Lee Poe Bayne-Slimp