ANAHITA  March 1998

ANAHITA March 1998

Re: 6th graders

Andrew Dolan <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:35:45 -0500

I was recently chatting with some seventh-grade girls, who
told me that they liked studying about ancient Greece in
their social studies class.  It was, alas, the ONLY thing
they found interesting from the class, leading me to wonder
whether the social history approach to ancient Greece was
more attractive than memorizing years and the names of
explorers, battles, and leaders.
     I asked the girls what was so engaging about their study
of ancient Greece.  They told me that they liked the myths
(though they couldn't recall any) and distinguishing
characteristics of Spartan and Athenian life and values.  It
was of course too facile a distinction, but I suspect that a
simple, clear comparison-and-contrast approach makes sense to
sixth and seventh graders.  In college they can be introduced
to diversity and ambiguity of women in the Classical world.

Andrew T. Dolan
Adjunct Professor, Religion and Classics
LaSalle University - Box 129
1900 W. Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA  19141-1199