ANAHITA  May 1998

ANAHITA May 1998

Re: Ancient Hair Dye

laura lee poe bayne-slimp <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 May 1998 00:39:16 -0400

>Aristophanes (Ecclesiazusae 735) mentions a certain Lysicrates' boiling a
>_pharmakon_ to dye his hair.  It's only a simile and not central to the
>narrative, but it's relevant to my study of pharmaka.  Does anyone know
>about ancient Mediterranean hair dye products?  References to primary or
>secondary sources would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>Andy

Umm. . . . There is a Propertius poem in the first half of book two that
refers to Cynthia's dying her hair (sorry, I can't pin down the reference at
the moment).  Also, you may find some interresting stuff in Ovid's Ars
Amatoria.  As far as Greek references go, I can't provide you with any
useful citations.  I suggest you take a look at the Diotima bibliographies
if you haven't already done so.

Good luck

Laura
Laura Lee Poe Bayne-Slimp