ANAHITA  June 1998

ANAHITA June 1998

Re: cosmetic spoon cover

Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:46:58 EDT

My _Ency. of Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land_ , (ed. Avi-Yonah &
Stern, Prentice Hall, 1977) has much too short an article by Olga Tufnell.
Tufnell, of  University of London briefly headed that excavation after the
murder of its director, and she prepared their publications.  Her pertinent
publications are _Lachish 2 (The Fosse Temple)_ 1940, & _Lachish 4 (The Bronze
Age)_ 1958.

Her article doesn't actually have much on that 1938 excavation. However,
there's a nice cosmetic flask made of an ivory tusk from the Fosse Temple,
Phase III (c.1234 B.C.E.), which I think would be your temple.  Flask is in
the shape of a woman, in a bordered wrap-skirt, appears that the neck &
handles of flask are her torso & arms.  Apparent stopple is her head in chin-
length Egyptian wig (tight curls?) big-eyed (they meet above nose) & her head-
dress is a spoon.

Sheila Shiki y Michaels

<<
 I'm seeking more information on a  "cover of a cosmetic spoon" from a Late
 Bronze Age temple at Lachish engraved with an "open flower" pattern, as shown
 in a photo on p. 214  of _Views of the Biblical World 2: Former Prophets_,
ed.
 by Benjamin Mazar (International Publishering Co., Jerusalem, 1960).

 The "cover" is spoon-shaped and has ten holes: four larger ones vertically
 down the center, the largest being on bottom; and  six smaller holes, three
on
 each side of the center four.