Interpretation is Central (was: Get A Load Of This Outrage!)

Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:52:46 EDT

The outrage is not only that a miniscule minority can gorilla an entire
nation, but that in determining the course of archeology they can impose their
views on our past and our future.  Israeli archeology is arguably the most
influential in the world.  Are we interested in women in the classics?  A
great deal of what we know of antiquity we have frequently measured against
finds in Israel.

In this field, interpretation is an enormous part of the data of any dig.
Think of the decades in which female figures have been turning up by the
hundreds in a supposedly monotheistic context.  Pritchard wrote his
dissertation on Palestinian Female Figures, in perhaps the late '20s.  Two or
three years ago ASOR held an evening on them in Chicago.  But only at last
year's AAR/SBL meeting was there a paper on the presence of home altars in
Judean households.  (I'm away for the summer & cannot give you names & haven't
found this great paper yet on my floppies).  We are talking about the same
figurines.  Now, what if these digs were in the hands of an ultra-Orthodox,
anti-Israel, anti-secular one or two percent of the voters in Israel?  What if
they were in the hands of mullahs?  You see what is happening in Iraq where
antiquities are in the hands of a kleptocracy.  We must care that archeology
be in the hands of honest, secular & responsible people.

Sheila Shiki y Michaels

<< >I used to get excited about this kind of stuff until my wife (wiser than
I, of
 >course) noted that if the Israelis have this sort of repressive theocracy,
 >well, it's a free country and they voted for it.

 The problem is, the Israeli majority didn't vote for theocracy. The
 religious parties have the upper hand because they have become the
 tie-breakers in a multi, multi-party system. And if the ultra-orthodox have
 their way, it won't be a free country.

 Max Dashu

<<
Seeing that this list is devoted to women and gender in the ancient world, and
that much of the sources of information about them comes from archaeological
digs, some of which take place in Israel and would be prevented by the
Orthodox Party, I do think it's relevant.