New Book on Enheduanna

Michelle Hart <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:37:32 -0700

Suggestions requested:
        I have the newest book published on Enheduanna by Annette Zgoll,"Der
Rechstfall der En-hedu-Ana im Lied nin-me-sara", 1997, Ugarit-Verlag
Munster but as it is in German it will take me forever to translate.
         I have emailed Dr. Zgoll and she is open to having an english
translation even if it only includes the "non-scholarly" portion-
approximately 200 pages- as opposed to the complete version of 600 pages
and even if it is only a paperback!  How would one go about finding a
publisher willing to translate this shorter version?  She tells me that
the book offers the most updated translation of nin-me-sara as she
worked from over 100 exemplars in comparison to Hallo and Van Dijk who
worked with approx. 49 exemplars back in '68.  She says alot of the
ambiguous, problematic sections have been resolved and that the gist of
the poem centers on Enheduanna's "lawsuit against men and gods"!
        This seems like a seminal contribution to women's studies, for Ancient
NEar Eastern scholars and non-scholars alike- are there others who would
agree?  I would appreciate hearing of anyone's  experience with
proposing an english translation, if it is commonly done in the academic
sphere etc...
        Michelle Hart
        http://www.angelfire.com/mi/enheduanna/index.html