Re: travelling to Greece, Turkey, Egypt

Mary Ross <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Sep 1998 00:02:07 EDT

Dear Kate,

For Cairo, contact Peace Tourism (Omar Gaber or Michel Francis,
representatives), Cairo, fax 245-1919 (I dial 011-202 as a prefix from the US;
I'm not sure what you'll need from Australia).  They'll arrange guides--Azza
Samir or Naila Fahmy.  Both are exceptionally knowledgeable women. Just tell
Omar and Michel that you'd like Azza or Naila to focus on ancient Egyptian
women and goddesses.  Omar and Michel can also arrange hotels and
transportation for you all over Egypt, including Cairo, of course..

If you want a view of the pyramids from your hotel, the Mena House Oberoi is a
converted palace beside the pyramids.  (Some say it's a hunting lodge, but
I've never seen a hunting lodge like that!)  The less expensive rooms are in
the garden wing; you won't be out of place in chinos and jeans and you'll have
windows--but no pyramids until you go outside.  Frankly, I love the funky old
Cosmopolitan in the middle of the city.  It has no view and very scruffy
though scrubbed rooms, but the food is easy on a tourist's stomach and you can
shop to your heart's content for shoes, if that's important to you.  Another
very good, affordable hotel is Shepheard's Hotel; ask for a room with a Nile
view.  Beautiful.

In truth, I can't recommend anyone in Luxor.  If Azza or Naila would go with
you from Cairo to Luxor, and they might be able to, that truly would be your
best option.  Omar and Michel have contacts in Luxor, but I wasn't pleased.

I recommend that you make your own arrangements for a guide in Aswan.  You can
fax South Sinai Travel at 097-305395 and ask them to book Noha and a driver
for you.  Abd el Rasik is the manager.  The Basma Hotel, where the South Sinai
office is, is truly beautiful (decorated by two contemporary Egyptian artists)
and affordable; it's also just across the street from the new Nubian museum.

You'll go in a service taxi, fly, or take a cruise to Abu Simbel from Aswan.
There are good English guides at the site, if you drive or fly.  If you can,
though, book the cruise from Aswan to Abu Simbel and fly back to Aswan.  Ask
Peace to book Hani Zarief as your guide on the cruise (he can be reached
through Abercrombie & Kent in Aswan).

No place in the world is exceptionally safe these days, but the Aswan-Luxor
Nile cruise is very pleasant.  You stop at many sites along the way for
sightseeing (guides are provided); that's why the trip is longer than if you
drive.  You also get to loll in lounges on the top deck and see the scenery
along the way.  My husband joined me for Christmas/New Year last year; we
celebrated New Year's Eve on the cruise ship.  Ramadan had just begun and the
light displays on the minarets were lovely as they reflected on the water.

Peace Tourism can get special permits from the Department of Antiquities if
you want to go to Dendara.

I'l have to hunt through files to find my information about Greece, Crete, and
Istanbul, but if you can be patient I'll send another posting.

REgards,
Mary Ross