Re: Greek language question

Peter Riedlberger <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Sep 1998 20:42:43 PDT

> Could someone give me an example of a Greek word that is always in an
> active voice  but translated into English as passive?

Latin would be easier. VAPULARE, 'to be beaten', is a case in point.

Regarding Greek, your question is somewhat more difficult to answer. There
are certains words in active voice that do have a passive meaning, but
normally, another active one is more common, e. g.:

APOTHNESKEIN - (1) to die, (2) to be slain
PHEUGEIN - (1) to flee, (2) to be accused

Other examples are paschein, (ek-)piptein, eu/kakos akouein/kluein,
teleutan. When they take their passive meaning, they are constructed
exactly as any other verb in passive voice (so, apothneskein ypo tinos, to
be killed by someone). At least ekpiptein seems (I haven't counted it!) to
occur more often than not in Attic prose in the 2nd, passive meaning.

I don't know if you are satisfied with my answer, since none of those verbs
has only a passic meaning and, save teleutan, they have admittedly futures
in the middle voice. Perhaps somebody else knows of a real Greek parallel
to vapulare?

Peter Riedlberger
Winibaldstr. 36
82515 Wolfratshausen