AJA: new editorial statement

John Younger <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:25:24 -0400

[Sorry for the cross-postings!  Please respond to Bruce Hitchner, the new
editor of the AJA {address below}]

Mediterranean, Egypt, and the Near East from prehistoric to late antique
times (c. A.D. 700).  In recent years, however, the appearance of new
archaeological journals occupying more specialized niches and the
exponential growth of archaeological information and publication on the
internet have caused some authors to cease looking to AJA as the primary
forum for the publication of their research. As the new Editor-in-Chief, I
seek to maintain and strengthen AJA'ís vital role as a journal with a broad
chronological and geographical mandate through a number of initiatives.
These include theme-based issues, issue and debate articles, and
occasional letters from the editor. I shall also be expanding the number
of reviews of regional archaeological activity. (Newly solicited reviews
of the archaeology of Hellenistic and Roman Egypt and Late Iron Age and
Roman Britain are already in preparation.)

In general, I encourage the submission of papers that make a novel
contribution to their respective field or across a number of fields. This
can take the form of new interpretations, theories, and methods of
inquiry, the announcement of important discoveries, syntheses of recent
research in a particular field, and critical discussions of significant
questions and problems. Interim reports on archaeological work in progress
are welcome, but their emphasis should be on the emerging significance of
the work to the field, and not on the mere presentation of data.

I also invite contributions from fields such as literature and history
that address themes or issues relating to the art or archaeology of the
Ancient World. Both long and short articles that meet these criteria are
welcome.  As part of this expanded effort to fulfill its mandate, AJA will
now accept manuscripts in French and eventually in German, Italian, and
Spanish. These initiatives will be coupled with incremental changes in AJA
format and style that more effectively communicate its scope.

Various options are now under consideration including the introduction of
cover illustrations and color figures and a shift from footnotes to the
evolved Harvard system for in-text bibliographical citations (e.g.,
Hitchner 1990: 99). Contributors will also be encouraged to submit maps
and plans that are reducible to acceptable scales.

AJA'ís web-site (temporary address:
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~braley/TOC10-98.htm) is being updated to
complement and support the journal. The site now includes the members of
the advisory board and their addresses, a statement of purpose, a list of
books received as well as those actually reviewed, and article titles and
abstracts from recent issues. The archive of issues for which abstracts
are provided will eventually be expanded to include all previous years.
AJA is also exploring options for providing more news and information of
interest to our readership on the web-site.

AJA will maintain its commitment to protecting our archaeological
heritage. AJA will continue its policy of not publishing articles that
announce or constitute the initial scholarly discussion of any object in a
private or public collection acquired after 30 December 1973, unless the
object was part of a previously existing collection or has been legally
exported from the country of origin.

In all of these endeavors I am collaborating closely with Tracey Cullen,
Associate Editor, Susan Alcock and John Cherry, Book Review Co-editors,
Carol Stein, Assistant Editor and, after January 1, the new Book Review
Co-editors Paul Rehak and John Younger. Together, we welcome constructive
comments and suggestions from subscribers and other interested individuals
that will assist us in further enhancing the reputation of AJA as one of
the premier scholarly journals in the field.

       R. Bruce Hitchner
       Director
       Center for International Programs
       University of Dayton