AJA: new editorial statement, corrected

John Younger <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:43:57 -0400

[We regret that the previous message omitted the first part of the
statement.  Again, please forgive cross-postings!]

A letter from the Editor-in-Chief of the American Journal of Archaeology

Over the course of its long and distinguished history, the American
Journal of Archaeology has published important research in the art and
archaeology of ancient Europe, the Mediterranean, Egypt, and the Near
East from prehistoric to late antique times (c. A.D. 700).  In recent
years, however, the appearance of new archaeological journals occupying
more specialized niches and the exponential growth of archaeological
information and publication on the internet have caused some authors to
cease looking to AJA as the primary forum for the publication of their
research.

As the new Editor-in-Chief, I seek to maintain and strengthen AJA's vital
role as a journal with a broad chronological and geographical mandate
through a number of initiatives. These include theme-based issues, issue
and debate articles, and occasional letters from the editor. I shall also
be expanding the number of reviews of regional archaeological activity.
(Newly solicited reviews of the archaeology of Hellenistic and Roman
Egypt and Late Iron Age and Roman Britain are already in preparation.)

In general, I encourage the submission of papers that make a novel
contribution to their respective field or across a number of fields. This
can take the form of new interpretations, theories, and methods of
inquiry, the announcement of important discoveries, syntheses of recent
research in a particular field, and critical discussions of significant
questions and problems. Interim reports on archaeological work in
progress are welcome, but their emphasis should be on the emerging
significance of the work to the field, and not on the mere presentation
of data. I also invite contributions from fields such as literature and
history that address themes or issues relating to the art or archaeology
of the Ancient World. Both long and short articles that meet these
criteria are welcome.  As part of this expanded effort to fulfill its
mandate, AJA will now accept manuscripts in French and eventually in
German, Italian, and Spanish.

These initiatives will be coupled with incremental changes in AJA format
and style that more effectively communicate its scope.  Various options
are now under consideration including the introduction of cover
illustrations and color figures and a shift from footnotes to the evolved
Harvard system for in-text bibliographical citations (e.g., Hitchner
1990: 99). Contributors will also be encouraged to submit maps and plans
that are reducible to acceptable scales.

AJA's web-site (temporary address:
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~braley/TOC10-98.htm) is being updated to
complement and support the  journal. The site now includes the members of
the advisory board and their addresses, a statement of purpose, a list of
books received as well as those actually reviewed, and article titles and
abstracts from recent issues. The archive of issues for which abstracts
are provided will eventually be expanded to include all previous years.
AJA is also exploring options for providing more news and information of
interest to our readership on the web-site.

AJA will maintain its commitment to protecting our archaeological
heritage. AJA will continue its policy of not publishing articles that
announce or constitute the initial scholarly discussion of any object in
a private or public collection acquired after 30 December 1973, unless
the object was part of a previously existing collection or has been
legally exported from the country of origin.

In all of these endeavors I am collaborating closely with Tracey Cullen,
Associate Editor, Susan Alcock and John Cherry, Book Review Co-editors,
Carol Stein, Assistant Editor and, after January 1, the new Book Review
Co-editors Paul Rehak and John Younger. Together, we welcome constructive
comments and suggestions from subscribers and other interested
individuals that will assist us in further enhancing the reputation of
AJA as one of the premier scholarly journals in the field.

       R. Bruce Hitchner
       Director
       Center for International Programs
       University of Dayton