Re: travelling to Greece, Turkey, Egypt

Margaret Hayon <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Sep 1998 11:35:22 +0200

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm travelling to Greece Turkey, Egypt soon and I would like to visit the sacred places of ancient goddesses. I have researched the better known places, but many have been renamed over the centuries, or converted to newer gods and goddesses. Please send info about places of interest.
> TIA, Kate

Hi Kate,Sorry I don't have info about those countries - but is there any chance of your visiting Cyprus or Israel while you're in this region?  (I live in Haifa, Israel.)

Re Cyprus:  I lived there for five years, many years ago. It's famous as the birthplace of Aphrodite -  Paphos especially, in the west part of the island, is associated with her. I remember there was a site called "Loutra tis Aphroditis" ("Baths of Aphrodite") or "Fontana Amorosa", near
the town of Polis tis Chrysochous in north Paphos, where I lived for a year.
In the centre of the island there's a site called Tamassos (in the village of Politiko, near Nicosia) - excavations there a few years ago found a temple of Ashtoreth/Astarte.
Many churches and monasteries dedicated to the Virgin Mary are quite possibly built on pre-Christian sacred sites - the cult of the Virgin Mary is very strong in Cyprus, and I guess has taken over from ancient goddess-cults.   Near the monastery of Kykko, in the Troodos mountains, is a
mountain-top known as the "throni tis Panaghias" ("seat of the All-holy Lady" - i.e. the Virgin Mary - I guess also goes back to pre-Christian origins). When I visited it, 30 years ago, there was a tree growing there - branches covered with scraps of cloth and garments that the faithful
had tied there. Archbishop Makarios is buried near there.   Other wellknown monasteries dedicated to Virgin Mary:  Trooditissa, Chrysorrhoyiatissa.
That's all from memory - sorry I don't have a recent guidebook handy, but I guess you could find more info.

Re. Israel: sorry I can't give you any detailed info - ancient goddess-sites are a subject I'm just beginning to get interested in myself, so I would also be interested if anyone else can provide information.  I guess any  archaeological guide of Israel would be a good starting-point (I
must get myself one!)  I live on Mount Carmel - site of ancient cults of Ba`al and Zeus; also associated with Prophet Elijah. (but I don't know of any goddess-sites near here.)

Hope this helps. (btw, I'm new to the list.)

Margaret Hayon