Re: travelling to Greece, Turkey, Egypt

Mary Ross <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Sep 1998 15:54:29 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/98 2:28:18 AM, Kate wrote:

<<I'm travelling to Greece Turkey, Egypt soon and I would like to visit the
sacred places of ancient goddesses. I have researched the better known places,
but many have been renamed over the centuries, or converted to newer gods and
goddesses. Please send info about places of interest.>>

Dear Kate,
Here are a few:
Out in the desert to the west of the rock cut tombs of El Kab (south of Luxor,
north of Aswan) is a tiny temple of Hathor, used by the caravanserai when
departing and returning.  It is exquisite.  I'm sure you can get there from
Luxor, but I would recommend going to Aswan and taking a taxi and a guide.
One of the best guides I had lives in Aswan during the winter season.  Her
name is Noha, and you can reach her through South Sinai Travel, in the
shopping arcade behind the Basma Hotel.  Of course, while you are in Aswan,
you can certainly see Philae Temple, dedicated to Isis, with some older
remnants of Hathor columns and a small Hathor temple.  The sound and light
show there is worthwhile, for many reasons.  If you want to travel south to
Abu Simbel, you can see Nefertari's temple, with its heavy emphasis on Hathor.

Possibly, you will be able to go to Dendara, north of Luxor.  I'm almost
certain you'll have to go with the convoy, which leaves Luxor every morning
early--or it did when I was there in March, 1997.   Though the temple is
"new," Dendara is reputed to have "always" been dedicated to Hathor.  Because
of the trouble in Luxor last year, Dendara might be off limits to all but
those who have special permits from the Department of Antiquities at the
present time.  You can probably arrange for a special permit before you leave,
but whether you'll be able to use it depends on....the gods???

In Luxor, if you go to Karnak, specifically ask your guide to take you to the
tiny shrine of Ptah.  The attached room has a shrine for Sekhmet, Ptah's
consort.  The statue of Sekhmet is exceptional.  The room is dark, but you can
try taking a flashlight and gently offering a little baksheesh to the
caretakers.  They were very kind to me.

The Cairo Museum is full of artifacts that might interest you.  I can give you
the name of an exceptional guide, if you want.  (Actually, I can give you
names and companies in all three countries and in the US, if you want.)

I was not able to visit sites in Turkey outside of Istanbul, I'm sorry to say.
However, The Blue Guide to Turkey (and to Egypt, Greece,and the islands) is
chock full of information about tiny sites, as well as major ones.

While you are in Athens, do try to get to Eleusis, the site of the mysteries
devoted to Demeter and Persephone.  Incidentally, the Athens antiquities
museum has one of the best collections of Egyptian artifacts I've seen
anywhere.  I think there's a sample from their collection online but I haven't
any URL for the site.

If you go to Crete, you can find many tiny, out of the way sites dedicated to
goddesses  and some truly lovely artifacts related to goddesses in the museums
sprinkled here and there.  I would like to go back to Crete to explore at
leisure for a month, especially along the central southern coast.

I hope you have a splendid trip!

Best regards,
Mary Ross