travelling to G, Turkey, E ....

Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:33:25 +1000

Hi Sheila,
thanks for your detailed message. Imagine my surprise when you turned up the strange sculpture I found and then lost again. Is this it:
http://cnes.cla.umn.edu/CNESWEB/Courses/3008MQ/html.MQAH/ahmq42.html
you call her the "double goddess"? Where can I see the sculpture? which museum in Athens - there are several? and there are more of these "double goddess" sculptures? where can I find them? tell me more ... also, why is she " not much noted,"?

snakes, yes, revered for their familiarity with the underworld and therefore the deities ... I'm going to Crete where they feature with the goddesses of Minoan art, and I've heard the local people keep bottled snakes for protection.

" ..... Artemis of Ephesus" yes, definitely on the must see list. Are they fruit or breasts - what do you think?

and what about Pammukkale, will it be open, clean, I'm not looking forward to a four hour bus trip, but I do want to stay in that Hotel with the sunken Roman columns in the spa.

the tomboy goddess Anat? pls tell me more ... is she a pre- form of Artemis or completely unrelated? what tablets?

No, we don't have a lot of time, 5 weeks for the whole trip. that's why I want to be very specific about what to see and where to go. We are however, not booking much at all so that we can be flexible. It isn't high season in any of these places during October, so we won't be stranded. And we are both fairly brave travellers.

TIA, cheers, Kate