travelling to Greece, Turkey, Egypt

Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:12:47 +1000

Hi Mary,
Thankyou for your detailed message - I'm not strong on Egyptology although my travelling partner Lisa is, and she's been there before (in the late eighties I think.)

I just did a short course in the pyramids, and saw the Life and Death Under the Pharaohs exhibit from Leiden, the Netherlands. (It's currently here in Sydney, Australia) and bought home the catalogue. I also recently aquired a beautiful hardbound version of the catalogue from "Mistress of the House, Mistress of Heaven - Women in Ancient Egypt" from the Cincinnati Art Museum exhibit.

I'll definitely be contacting your guide recommendation Noha, can I do that before we arrive?

and I'll definely be going to Aswan, the Sound & Light (since you recommend it) and Abu Simbel. Also Luxor, and Cairo for the museums, Giza of course. ( does anyone know of accomodation with a view of the pyramids?) Let's Go recommends the Nile Cruiser between Aswan and Luxor: cheap at the moment - but how safe is it? And why does it take 11 hours for the boat trip that only takes 3 hours in a taxi?

How would I go about getting a  Dept of Antiquities permit - should I write to them directly?

"In Luxor, if you go to Karnak, specifically ask your guide to take you to the
tiny shrine of Ptah." definitely the kind of thing I'm interested in , thankyou.

"The Cairo Museum is full of artifacts that might interest you.  I can give you
the name of an exceptional guide, if you want.  (Actually, I can give you
names and companies in all three countries and in the US, if you want.)" - yes thankyou!

I'm not familair with "The Blue Guide to Turkey" at all. so i'll chase it up, thanks for the tip.

And it wouldn't have occured to me to look at the Egyptian collection in Athens - thankyou.

Yes I am going to Crete - do you know where the cave of the Goddess Eilythia is? somewhere east of Heraklion. I'm particularly interested in watery themes - sacred springs, caves, beaches, etc

Thanks again, Cheers, Kate