ANAHITA  October 1998

ANAHITA October 1998

SV: "Israel's" illegitimate cult-practices

Tilde Binger <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:21:53 +0200

Hi Irene (and other Anahitans)
I don't think that it is the prostitution that is the issue in Hosea or
Ezekiel (+ the theme is played on in a number of other passages in the OT),
the issue is the infidelity. "Israel" is "married" to Yahweh, and as such
are going to stick to him.

Also, please be careful not to mix the Iron-age history of
Palestine/Israel/Judah with the fictional world of the OT. Further, it is
highly doubtful whether "Israel's worship of Baal" is borne out in the
texts. Much seems to indicate that "worshipping Baal" is just another way of
saying "worshipping Yahweh the wrong way".
Apart from that, I would tend to agree with you in your assessment that the
sexual-infidelity metaphor is only meaningful in a monolatric society like
the one portrayed in the OT - or in a monotheist society for that matter

Tilde Binger
Dept. of Biblical Studies
University of Copehagen

        ----------

        To criminalize Israel's worship of baal and her incorrect worship of
        Yhvh, two prophets in the Hebrew bible,  Hoshea and Ezekiel, develop
the
        metaphor of Israel as a prostitute.  I think this image is relevant
only
        if one, specific deity is to be worshipped.  To test this, I would
like
        to know if images of prostitution are used to describe the neglect
of
        any of the ANE deities---ie Marduk, Assur, Ishtar, Shamesh, Enlil,
        etc---and the worship of competing deities.

        So far, I have not found a similar image in the ANE material.

        Thank you,
        irene

        Diotima's address:
http://www.uky.edu/ArtsSciences/Classics/gender.html