ANAHITA  October 1998

ANAHITA October 1998

Re: Lancelot Andrewes, 1622

Don Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:14:30 -0000

To all,

Thanks so much for the many replies!

I know the 'black tents' are mentioned in 'Song of Songs'-- entirely
lovely there. 'Black tents' in Andrewes' sermon, however, is pejorative.
Is one figurative, the other merely geographic?

Sermon posted below,
Don Taylor
---
From Sermon 15: Of the Nativity, Christmas 1622

'Behold, there came Wise Men, from the East.'

Now, to Venimus, their Comming it selfe. And it fellowes well. For, it is
not a starr only,
but a Lode-starr: And, whither should stella Ejus ducere, but ad Eum?
whither lead us, but
to Him, whose the starr is? The starr, to the Starr's Master. . . .

It is not commended, to stand gazing up into Heaven too long, Not on Christ
Hinselfe
ascending: Much lesse on His starr. For, they sat not still gazing on the
starr Their Vidimus
begatt Venimus; their seeing made them come; come, a great journey. Venimus
is soone
sayd; but a short word; But, many a wide and weary stepp they made, before
they could
come to say Veninus, Lo, heer we are come; Come, and at our jorneys end. To
looke a little
on it. In this their Comming, we consider, 1. First, the distance of the
Place, they came
from. It was not hard by, as the shepheard's (but a step to Bethlehem over
the fields): This
was riding many a hundred miles, and cost them many a day's journey. 2.
Secondly, we
consider the Way, that they came: If it be pleasant; or plaine and easy;
For, if it be, it is so
much the better. 1. This was nothing pleasant; for, through deserts: all
the way wast and
desolate. 2. Nor (secondly) easy neither: For, over the Hocks and craggs of
both Arabies
(specially Petraea) their journey lay. 3. Yet, if safe: But, it was not;
but exceeding
dangerous, as lying through the middest of the Black Tents of Kedar, a
Nation of Theeves
and cut-throtes; To passe over the hills of Robbers; Infamous then, and
infamous to this
day. No passing, without great troop, or Convoy. 4. Last, we consider the
time of their
comming, the season of the yeare. It was no summer Progresse. A cold coming
they had of
it, at this time of the yeare; just, the worst tine of the yeare, to take a
journey, and specially a
long journey, in. The waies deep, the weather sharp, the daies short, the
sunn farthest off in
solstitio brumali, the very dead of Winter. Venimus, We are come, if that
be one; Vcnimus,
We are (now) come, come at this time, that (sure) is another. . . .