ANAHITA  October 1998

ANAHITA October 1998

Re: Lancelot Andrewes, 1622

"Henrietta L. Wiley" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Oct 1998 16:48:09 -0500

At 02:14 PM 10/28/98 -0000, Don Taylor wrote:

>I know the 'black tents' are mentioned in 'Song of Songs'-- entirely
>lovely there.

Well, I am not so sure.  It is not entirely clear that the darkness of the
"Shunamite" is normally desirable.  Is she dark *and* lovely, or dark *but*
lovely?  The Hebrew can be translated either way.

>'Black tents' in Andrewes' sermon, however, is pejorative.:
>Yet, if safe: But, it was not; but exceeding dangerous, as lying through
the  >middest of the Black Tents of Kedar, a Nation of Theeves and
cut-throtes; To >passe over the hills of Robbers; Infamous then, and
infamous to this day.

The most helpful texts I think are going to be Psalm 120 and Isaiah 21,
both of which I have appended here.  The deutero and trito Isaiah texts
Will be less helpful, but are nonetheless interesting.  In the first
Jeremiah text I have quoted the idea is that even the Cypriots and
Kedarites (presumably the lowest of the low) know better than to commit
apostasy.  The second Jeremiah passage is typical oracles against the
nations type stuff.  Kedar is included among the Ammonites, Edomites and
the rest of the usual suspects.  Likewise, Ezekiel refers to Kedar in his
tirade against Tyre, the idea being that they are peas in a pod, as it were.

Anyhoo, it appears that Andrewes is merely trying to convey the difficulty
of the journey of the Magi, some of whom are understood to have come from
the Arabian Peninsula, and would therefore have had to travel through the
land of the Kedar to get to Judea.

cheers,
Rhetta Wiley
Psal 120:5-7 Woe is me, that I sojourn in Meshech,
that I dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had my dwelling
among those who hate peace.
I am for peace;
but when I speak,
they are for war!

Isai 21:1, 16-17
The oracle concerning the wilderness of the sea.
As whirlwinds in the Negeb sweep on,
it comes from the desert,
from a terrible land...
For thus the Lord said to me, "Within a year, according to the years of a
hireling, all the glory of Kedar will come to an end;
and the remainder of the archers of the mighty men of the sons of Kedar
will be few; for the LORD, the God of Israel, has spoken."

Isai 42:11 Let the desert and its cities lift up their voice,
the villages that Kedar inhabits;
let the inhabitants of Sela sing for joy,
let them shout from the top of the mountains.

Isai 60:7 All the flocks of Kedar shall be gathered to you,
the rams of Nebai'oth shall minister to you;
they shall come up with acceptance on my altar,
and I will glorify my glorious house.

Jere 2:10 For cross to the coasts of Cyprus and see,
or send to Kedar and examine with care;
see if there has been such a thing.

Jere 49:28-29 Concerning Kedar and the kingdoms of Hazor which
Nebuchadrez'zar king of Babylon smote.
Thus says the LORD:
"Rise up, advance against Kedar!
Destroy the people of the east!
Their tents and their flocks shall be taken,
their curtains and all their goods;
their camels shall be borne away from them,
and men shall cry to them: `Terror on every side!'

Ezek 27:21 Arabia and all the princes of Kedar were your favored dealers in
lambs, rams, and goats; in these they trafficked with you.