ANAHITA  October 1998

ANAHITA October 1998

Re: Shamanesses?

Xina <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Oct 1998 18:45:45 -0500

O'siyo Cristine:

I would respectfully ask that you please do not use the word 'shaman' in
connection with First Nations (American Indian /Native American) religious,
spiritual  or mystery traditions and practices.  I can tell you  that you will
definitely shut more doors than you will open.  This word is indicative of
Indigenous Siberian culture and has little if anything to do with  First Nations
or American Indian spiritual traditions and practices.

Cristina Diano wrote:

> does anyone want to share with me their wisdom about women and healing in
> Before
> everyone throws all the different names of native american nations in my
> face I just want to let you know that i am being inquisitive.. not
> authoritative! Please be kind!!

I hope that I have been that, I am just warning you ahead of time if you say
certain words, NDN (Indians) will clam up and be highly suspect.  There is alot
of rescent resistance and resentment built up against anglos outside their
cultures being inquisitive for the wrong reasons and the new age movement and
its penchant for selling anything and everything  is mainly to blame for this .
If you can send me some of your questions I can forward on to some folks within
the various First Nations.

Wa-do!

Christina Paul