Call for Papers

David Roselli <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Dec 1998 12:47:33 -0500

CALL FOR PAPERS

The Graduate Department of Classics
University of Toronto

 N E G O T I A T I N G  I D E O L O G I E S

An Interdisciplinary Conference
15-17 October 1999

The study of socio-economic systems and representations in the ancient
world has recently become a focal point in the field of Classics.  Much of
this research has centered on the reconstruction of ancient ideologies and
has produced a number of innovative readings of the dialectical
relationship between subject and object.  At the same time, the influence
of postmodernism has encouraged critics to adopt a more self-reflexive
position to their own theoretical, critical, and ideological assumptions.
It is the aim of the conference to reassess the different conceptions and
practices of ideology and furthermore to question the value or even the
relevance of ideology in contemporary criticism.

In fact, what is ideology?  The numerous formulations of this polysemic
concept (e.g., epistemological, sociological, semiotic, and symbolic)
provide a productive framework in which to situate a discussion of the
representations of politics, class, gender, and identity.  But problems
often arise when one ideological paradigm is projected onto the myriad
discourses of the past.  We hope (1) to refocus attention on the nexus of
competing ideologies and (2) to adopt a more inclusive approach that
emphasizes all acts of representation, drawing not only on literary texts
but also on visual and material culture.  Potential starting points are:
What are the types of evidence required for a critique of the ideological
practices of the past?  How effective were ancient mechanisms for
transmitting ideologies?  How mystified were the everyday discourses of
"dominated" groups? What are the limits of ideology?

The conference places a high value on holistic approaches to the past.  It
is our intention to create a common ground upon which to develop a nuanced
understanding of how ideology "works" and to explore the cultural logic of
antiquity.  We encourage graduate students, recent Ph.D.'s, and junior
faculty to participate in our conference.  Please submit a one-page
abstract by May 1, 1999 to:

Negotiating Ideologies, Conference Steering Committee
Department of Classics, University of Toronto
97 St. George Street, Toronto, ONT. M5S 2E8 Canada

Fax: 416-978-7307

Email (available beginning of January): [log in to unmask]

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION (watch this site for details on speakers, panels,
etc):

www.chass.utoronto.ca/classics/new_grad_prog/ideology_conf.html

DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS IS MAY 1, 1999