Re: 2 books on women in antiquity

Diane Treacy-Cole <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 Dec 1998 09:41:38 +0000

Gail,

I'm familiar with Deborah Sawyer's book on "Women and Religion in the
First Christian Centuries".  I use it in my "Patrons, Prophets and
Prostitutes" class at Bristol University.  The book is written to
appeal not only to the undergraduate market (a bit more academic than
US undergrads), as well as for the "interested" public.  It is solid
writing.  The volume is one of several in the series Routledge
publishes on early Christianity.  Incidentally, Deborah and her husband
John are co-editors of the series.

Diane Treacy-Cole
Department of Theology and Religious Stuides
Centre for Comparative Study of Women and Religion
University of Bristol

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:02:50 +1030 Gail Higginbottom
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have come across 2 books in the University bookshop this week. I have
> read neither.  Could anyone who has read either please tell me what they
> think?  The first of the two may be helpful to Mariane(?) who is looking
> at women in mythology in the classical world as part of her new course.
>
> Slatkin - Power of Thetis (pub - JOHN)
> Sayer   - Women and Religion in the first christian centuries (pub -
> Routledge).
>

> Sincerely,
> Gail.
>
> Gail Higginbottom,
> Discipline of Classics,
> Centre for European Studies,
> University of Adelaide,
> Adelaide, South Australia,
> Australia. 5005.
> and
> Department of Physics and Mathematical Physics

> (08) 8303:5996 (messages)

> 'SUBscribe ANAHITA Firstname Lastname' to
> the list owners at the generic address:

> Diotima's address: http://www.uky.edu/ArtsSciences/Classics/gender.html

Diane Treacy-Cole
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
Centre for Comparative Studies in Religion and Gender
UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL