Re: Child sacrifice etc.

"Henrietta L. Wiley" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:56:45 -0500

At 07:38 PM 1/14/99 +1030, Gail Higginbottom wrote:

> Are some of the gods (or society) saying enough of this?
>Does anyone have any ideas on this?

The best book I have read on this subject is:

Levenson, Jon D.  _The Death and Resurrection of the Beloved Son: The
Transformation of Child Sacrifice in Judaism and Christianity._  New Haven:
Yale Univ Pr, 1993.

This book is indispensible for dealing with the subject of child sacrifice
in the Bible.  Levenson first discusses the pre- and extra-biblical context
of child sacrifice in the Levant and the wider phoenician world.  From
there he explores how the biblical authors deal with their
compulsion/revulsion to child sacrifice.  It's also immensely readable,
which is refreshing in this day and age.

For a bit more theory, and deeper sensitivity to issues of gender, I must
recommend:

Jay, Nancy B.  _Throughout your generations forever: sacrifice, religion,
and paternity._  Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1992.

Again, an essential book for this type of research.  Her thesis is that
sacrifice is a tool for (re-)organizing family structure.  More
specifically, it is a way to realign the family into a patrilineage.  It is
a cure for being born of woman.  It's the kind of writing to which I
aspire: concise, precise, engaging.

with best regards,
Rhetta Wiley