Re: The City-as-woman in the Old Testament

Heike Behlmer <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:21:09 +0000

Sandra Knauer wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> my thesis work is centered on the picture of the _city as woman_
> (_Daughter of Zion_ etc.) in the
> Old Testament. Of course this is to be seen in wider context...

Dear Sandra,

here are some more recent titles which will lead to the older literature:

Several articles in: Brenner, Athalya (ed.), A Feminist Companion to the
Latter Prophets. The Feminist Companion to the Bible 8, Sheffield 1995

Brenner, Athalya, The Intercourse of Knowledge. On Gendering Desire and
‘Sexuality’ in the Hebrew Bible. Biblic-al Interpretation Series 26,
Leiden etc. 1997

Carroll, Robert P., Whorusalamin: A Tale of Three Cities as Three Sisters,
in: Bob Becking and Meindert Dijkstra (eds.), On Reading Prophetic Texts.
Gender-Specific and Related Studies in Memory of Fokkelien van
Dijk-Hemmes. Biblical Interpretation Series 18, Leiden 1996, 67-82

Galambush, Julie, Jerusalem in the Book of Ezekiel. The City as Yahweh’s
Wife. Society of Biblical Literature Disser-ta-tion Series 130, Atlanta
1992

for some of the apocrypha: Humphreys, Edith McEwan, The Ladies and the
Cities. Transformation and Apocalyptic Identity in Joseph and Ase-neth, 4
Ezra, the Apocalypse and the Shepherd of Hermas. Journal for the Study of
the Pseudepigrapha Sup-plement Series 17, Sheffield 1995

Best wishes,

Heike Behlmer