Scalps as towels

Peter Riedlberger <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:12:10 +0100

The communis opinio is that the Scythians used their slain enemies'
scalps as towels since Herodotus (4. 64) calls those scalps cheiromaktra and
the standard dictionaries give towel/napkin for cheiromaktron (dead hair is of course not the same thing as
living hair, but at least you have here hair for drying...). I challenged that view in Klio 78 (1996), pp. 53-60
(Sklapieren bei den Skythen, in German but with brief English
abstract). P. 54 note 16 is a *very* short discussion of both
passages you mention.

You might also consult A. Scobie, Slums, sanitation and mortality in
the Roman world, Klio 68 (1986), pp. 399-433 who abords the
Petronius passage on p. 410.

Please do tell me if you find out about other parallel cases. I am really
interested in!

Best wishes

Peter Riedlberger

Peter Riedlberger