Re: Demeter still youthful in the Ode

Kirk Ormand <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:15:35 -0600

I don't have my text in front of me, but I think that somewhere around
lines 100-105, the narrator tells us that Demeter likens herself to a
*palaigenos graus* who is past childbearing years, and past the age of
Aphrodite; and it's in this guise that she's met by the daughters at the
well. In other words, she is an old woman. (Odysseus refuses to be washed
by a young woman in book 19, asking instead for a *graus*; this sets up the
meeting with his childhood nurse, the now very old Eurykleia.)  I read the
height, radiance, etc. as her divinity shining through the disguise, not
the disguise itself.

Kirk