Re: Paul and Women

Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 18:54:03 EST

        The first thing I would do in understanding Paul and women is avoid the
Pastoral letters (1 & 2 Timothy & Titus).  Unless you are a very conservative
Christian there is little reason for accepting Paul as the author of these
letters.  I have found that many New Testament scholars writing on Paul and
women do not accept the Pastorals in theory, but allow these letters to color
their reading of 1 & 2 Corinthians and other Pauline letters.  It can be
difficult to read Paul in his own right if you have the Pastorals bumping
around in the back of your mind.
Jim Miller