Re: Quest for Immortality

Max Dashu <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:20:01 -0800

>   I remember two or three infants whose mothers or nurses tried to make them
>immortal, but did not succeed because they were found out.  In the Hymn to
>Demeter 2.231-255 the goddess tried to make an infant immortal by placing him
>in a fire.  However the mother discovered the scene, screamed and interrupted
>the process.

This story was probably told first of Auset/Isis who did the same during
her sojourn in Lebanon, as nurse to the infant prince.

>a similar tradition about Medea and her children by Jason (which Euripides
>represents as being killed by their mother).

Very interesting, since I've seen allusions to the worship of Medea. Where
is this tradition mentioned?

Max Dashu

Suppressed Histories Archives           email: [log in to unmask]
                                PO Box 3511 Oakland CA 94609 USA