Re: Quest for Immortality

Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 01:58:33 EST

        Max D wrote, "I understand that this claim of 'child sacrifices' has been
debunked."  Off hand I don't see how, though I can guess why.  Some people are
just too uncomfortable with the idea.  A little clarity, though.  Which child
sacrifices are being debunked, Greek, Israelite or Phoenician/Punic?  What is
the basis for this debunking?  Do the debunkers have a desire to admire said
ancient society?  Do the debunkers rely on "of course" arguments -- e.g. "One
simply cannot imagine the existence at any time of a cultured human society
which regularly killed its firstborn." (G. Brin, Studies in Biblical law p
209)  Um, Carthage in its heyday is usually considered a cultured human
society.
        I think the tophets dug up in Carthage and elsewhere in the western
Mediterranean make it clear enough, infants were sacrificed in Punic cities.
By extension I tend to believe accounts of Phoenician and Israelite child
sacrifices as well, and I wouldn't want to leave Greek human sacrifice out of
the mix.  The Greeks have a strong tradition of human sacrifice in their lore,
at least as strong as the Israelites.
Jim Miller