ANAHITA  February 1999

ANAHITA February 1999

Re: "male" figure

Max Dashu <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:12:51 -0800

Thanks, Marc Cooper, for calling to our attention

>a Mitanni cylinder seal belonging to
>the Yale Babylonian collection. The seal is now published in Briggs
>Buchanan, _Early Near Eastern Seals in the Yale Babylonian Collection_ ,
>1981 #1273. The editor thought that the central figure is a male seated on a
>flowering pot surrounded by a lion headed demon and a bull headed demon

It sure doesn't look like a male to me. (The male default interpretation
strikes again.) A naked figure with no penis, and with breasts like the two
female figures. (Compare with the flat triangular chests of the male
figures.) You may be right about the crowning infant, but another take
would be a shiela-na-gig-like figure (vulva display). It looks to me like
she is reaching down to grasp two stalks of lilies or lotus (or papyrus?)
that rise between her legs.

Max Dashu

Suppressed Histories Archives           email: [log in to unmask]
                                PO Box 3511 Oakland CA 94609 USA