ANAHITA  February 1999

ANAHITA February 1999

Re: Love Holiday

"S. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:52:07 -0600

Text/Plain

I'm not really the expert in this area, so if my facts are mixed I'd
appreciate corrections.  Feb 14 is the Christianization, or
'santification' / merging, of the Feb 15 Roman Lupercalia festival,
celebrated in honor of the gods Lupercus and Faunus, with the death
celebration of the monk Valentine.  February to the Romans was the month
of the celebration of the dead, and during the Ides there were intense
celebrations, animal sacrifices, fertility and blood rituals, and secret
male and female 'love' pairings.

Of course, Claudius II Gothicus was responsible for the execution of
Valentine in 269, the monk who was illegally marrying Roman soldiers off
against the old Roman law of keeping its soldiers unattached during
their lengthy military service.  Valentine was later canonized, so now
Western culture traditionally celebrates him (not so much him as the
lovers / secret lovers concept) on his traditional death date.  I'm sure
some commentary can be found in many areas discussing the timing of the
celebration not to coincide with, but rather to draw attention from, the
pagan Lupercalia.

Although Valentine's Day might seem to be less Valentine and more
Lupercalia, depending on your view.

Regards,
Stephanie Wilson