ANAHITA  February 1999

ANAHITA February 1999

Re: Sumerian priestesses

"Cooper, Marc" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:01:03 -0600

There are two types of sources which might be useful to you, administrative
texts, and cultic literature. The Ur III administrative texts mention the
names of priestesses, the people who work for them, and the number and kind
of animals that they sacrifice. The Ur III queens, at least from Shulgi's
reign function as priestesses of their husbands' cults. The cultic
literature is more problematic since we have Old Babylonian material
ascribed to the Ur III queens, and several genres of eme-sal songs and
prayers which were recited by both men and women. Some scholars have
presumed that the later genres existed in the Ur III period, but others have
denied this, and the extent to which we can read Old Babylonian culture back
to the Ur III period remains at issue. For a survey of that literature
consider, Jeremy Black, "Eme-sal Cult Songs and Prayers," in _Aula
Orientalis_ Vol. 9:1-2, 1991, 23-36. On Ur III royal women in the
administrative texts see a series of articles by Piotr Michalowski. I don't
have the references handy, but I think you can find them at:

http://www.umich.edu/~neareast/pages/faculty/michalow.htm

Hope this is useful.

Marc Cooper