ANAHITA  February 1999

ANAHITA February 1999

Re: Love Holiday

Bewitched <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:18:04 -0500

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Paula Johanson wrote:

> At 07:03 PM 2/14/99 -0600, A Katzeff wrote:
> >Does anyone know if Valentine's Day, like so many of our modern
> >holidays, is a left-over from some ancient Pagan celebration?
> >Virginia Katzeff
> Nope!
>         Rather, _Saint_ Valentine's Day is, like so many of our modern holidays, a
> left-over from some ancient Christian celebration.
>         Saint Valentine has (I believe; contradict me if I'm wrong and I will take
> corection pleasantly) been verified to be an actual historical figure. He
> was a prisoner who was great friends with the young daughter of one of his
> jailers.  She even brought a violet plant for his cell. Before he was taken
> away for execution, he pricked out a message for the girl on one of the
> violet's heart-shaped leaves... "From your Valentine."
>         I never heard why Feb. 14th was assigned to be his day (birth? death?) but
> possibly it was some ancient Pagan celebration with a name that translates
> to something like "It's FEBRUARY and it's still #$%@ing COLD! Let's make
> love so we can get warm together."
>         Paula

From the way i've heard it, there were two St. Valentines.  One who was
brought up earlier in the discussion who married Roman soldiers and one
who for some reason or other was put in jail but would drop notes out of
his cell window to his children friends and call them his valentines.  I
am not sure of the validity of either story, but this is just what i've
always heard about this holiday.
                                                Sam