ANAHITA  February 1999

ANAHITA February 1999

gyn. discussion

"Cooper, Marc" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:17:31 -0600

The recent discussion reminded me of a Mitanni cylinder seal belonging to
the Yale Babylonian collection. The seal is now published in Briggs
Buchanan, _Early Near Eastern Seals in the Yale Babylonian Collection_ ,
1981 #1273. The editor thought that the central figure is a male seated on a
flowering pot surrounded by a lion headed demon and a bull headed demon
holding a scimitar. There is also a female figure with a long pigtail
wearing a diaphanous robe. When I first saw this seal, without benefit of
Buchanan's observations, I thought that the central figure represented a
woman seated on a birthing stool with the head of an infant presenting. I am
probably wrong about this, but the seal may be interesting to Anahitans in
any case. A picture of the seal impression is temporarily available via
Diotima at

http://www.uky.edu/ArtsSciences/Classics/cylinderseal.html
<http://www.uky.edu/ArtsSciences/Classics/cylinderseal.html>

There is a finer, if smaller, picture in the publication. Dicussion
welcomed.