ANAHITA  March 1999

ANAHITA March 1999

Re: ancient travelers

"William E. Hutton" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:41:15 -0500

I think I re-subscribed right at the beginning of this thread,
so I be making redundant suggestions, but I have not seen references
to any of the following, which are some of the more entertaining
travel accounts from antiquity:

The journey of Dionysus to the Underworld in Aristophanes' _Frogs_
Horace, _Satire_ 1.5 (Journey to Brundisium)
The voyage of Iamboulos described in Diodorus Siculus, book 2
Lucian in his _True Story_ (Vera historia/Alethes historia)
Philostratos, _Life of Apollonios of Tyana_ (includes travelogue
        accounts of the wanderings of 1st C. AD sage)

Just wondering here, but what, aside from Egeria, does this thread havdto
do with women and gender in the ancient world?  Has the list changed its
focus?

Bill

W.E. Hutton                                       [log in to unmask]
Department of Classical Studies                757-221-2993 (w)
College of William & Mary                      757-258-4564 (h)
P.O. Box 8795                                757-221-2133 (fax)
Williamsburg, VA  23187-8795

          http://www.wm.edu/CAS/classical_studies/wehutt