ANAHITA  April 1999

ANAHITA April 1999

Negotiating Ideologies - Call for Papers

David Roselli <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:47:31 -0400

Just a reminder to anyone interested in submitting an abstract for the
upcoming conference on ideology in the ancient world (October 15-17,1999)
sponsored by the Department of Classics at the University of Toronto:

the deadline for abstracts is May 1, 1999 (postmarked).

If you have not already, please check out the conference webpage for
additional information on the keynote event with Josh Ober (Princeton) and
Matthew Roller (Johns Hopkins) as well as other details.

You can access the conference website from the University of Toronto
Department of Classics homepage (http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/classics/)
by clicking on "Negotiating Ideologies" or directly at:

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/classics/new_grad_prog/ideology_conf.html

Below I have also attached a copy of the call for papers.  We hope to see
you in October!

CALL FOR PAPERS

                        Negotiating Ideologies:
An Interdisciplinary Conference Exploring the Culture of Antiquity

The study of socio-economic systems and representations in the ancient
world has recently become a focal point in the field of Classics. Much of
this research has centered on the reconstruction of ancient ideologies and
has produced a number of innovative readings of the cultural logic of
antiquity. It is the aim of the conference to reassess the different
conceptions and practices of ideology in antiquity, and furthermore to
question the value or even the relevance of ideology in contemporary
criticism.

In fact, what is ideology? The numerous formulations of this polysemic
concept provide a productive framework in which to situate a discussion of
the representations of cultural constructs (e.g., conflict, class, status,
gender, identity, and sexuality). But problems often arise when one
ideological paradigm is projected onto the myriad discourses of the past.
We hope (1) to refocus attention on the nexus of competing ideologies and
(2) to adopt a more inclusive approach that addresses all acts of
representation, drawing not only on literary texts but also on visual and
material culture.

The conference places a high value on holistic approaches to the past. It
is our intention to create a common ground upon which to develop an
understanding of the ways in which ideology "works." We encourage
graduate students, recent Ph.D.s, and junior faculty to participate in our
conference.

Postmark deadline for abstracts is May 1, 1999.

David Roselli
Department of Classics
University of Toronto