ANAHITA  April 1999

ANAHITA April 1999

Re. Women Sharing the Panathenaic sacrificial meal?

A Katzeff <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:49:54 -0500

If we can extrapolate one custom from another, I have some material on
consumption of sacrificial meat but not particular to the Panathenaia.
On pages 18-19 of _Demeter and Persephone in Ancient Corinth_, Nancy
Brookidis points out that worshippers partook of the sacrificial meat in
dining rooms where small groups dined together.  These dining rooms were
located in the sacred precincts.  Brookidis does not cite any evidence
of how the groups were divided.  Is there evidence of dining rooms on
the Parthenon?  Other sources point out that, in general, sacrificial
meat was consumed in the presence of the god, shortly after the ritual.
Re. Jim Miller's reference to a wedding feast for women separate from
men, would that perhaps be as part of the wedding festivities?  Since we
know that women attended the plays for Dionysus along with men and women
participated in the Mysteries at Eleusis along with men, could we say
that at least some other religious festivals and rites included them
both?
Another question on this topic of sacrificial meat: Did someone
(officials of the rites) drug the sacrificial animals so they would go
serenely to the altar?  If so, with what?  Poppy juice?
Virginia Katzeff