ANAHITA  May 1999

ANAHITA May 1999

New on Diotima

Diane Arnson Svarlien <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 May 1999 15:05:45 -0400

(please pardon cross-postings)

_Diotima: Materials for the Study of Women and Gender in the Ancient World_
is pleased to announce some valuable recent additions to the Translation
Anthology

 <http://www.uky.edu/ArtsSciences/Classics/anthology.html>.

 Now available are Guy Davenport's translations of Archilochos' "Cologne
epode" (P. Colon. 7511) and Alkman's "Hymn to Artemis of the Strict
Observance" (partheneion), in two versions. These are reprinted with
permission from Davenport's award-winning _7 Greeks_ (New Directions,
1995).

Also available is Gregory Nagy's annotated translation of the Homeric Hymn
to Demeter.

Finally, we have a new "About Our Contributors" page

<http://www.uky.edu/ArtsSciences/Classics/diotrans.html>

with biographical notes on translators who have contributed to the Anthology.

We hope that Diotima will be a valuable classroom resource; we have an
ever-growing collection of important and interesting texts with
wide-ranging relevance to the study of the ancient world. All of Diotima's
material is available for free to teachers, students, and readers, provided
that due copyright acknowledgment is given if texts are distributed.

If you would like to contribute a translation to Diotima's anthology,
please contact the Translation Editor, Diane Arnson Svarlien
<[log in to unmask]>. We are looking for skillful, high-quality verse
translations, and prose translations that are fresh, readable, and
accurate. Any texts that have a bearing on the study of women and gender
(broadly defined) in antiquity will be considered.

Diane Arnson Svarlien